Monday, June 13, 2011

What's for Dinner...Eat Your Weeds


Wild Greens Frittata

My garden is a continual space of inspiration for me and today was no different. I have a daily goal of eating foods prepared in our kitchen made with high quality ingredients that will create nourishing meals to feed our bodies...but this doesn't always happen.
I have been feeling somewhat un-inspired these past few days in the kitchen along with feeling overly busy and crunched for time. Thankfully today this all changed and while I was in the garden watching my landlords chickens I thought about all of the plantain and dandelions that I needed to get out of a bed and it came to me...Wild Greens Frittata.

I used eggs from our landlords free roaming...bug pecking...compost eating chickens and hand fulls of Nettles...Plantain...Dandelion and Red Clover leaves.


Preheat oven to 325

1 onion chopped how you like
6 garlic cloves diced
roughly 2 1/2-3 cups of shitake mushrooms de-stemmed and sliced
4-5 nice sized handfuls of Wild Greens...I used dandelions...nettles...plantain and red clover leaves
1-2 handfuls of kale
4 oz of shredded cheese...I used mozzarella...goat cheese would taste fabulous with this also
8 eggs

The garlic...onions and shitake mushrooms where sauteed together in a heated skillet with some olive oil until the flavors combined...about 5-7 minutes. Make sure to season them with some salt and pepper. Then set aside in a bowl.

Next I took the greens and in the same skillet I wilted the greens using a little bit of water and covered the skillet for a few minutes before taking the cover off and letting the rest of the water to evaporate off. Squeeze off extra liquid and then add the greens to the onions...garlic and shitake.

In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs...I actually used just the egg whites with four of the eggs and then the whole eggs for the other four. I also added a pinch of nice chunky Hawaiian sea salt while whisking the eggs.

I added the eggs and the shredded cheese to the rest of the ingredients and stirred it all together.

I oiled a cast iron skillet and making sure that the oil coated the sides...heated the skillet up on the stove top and poured the bowl into the skillet and cooked on the stove for about 1-2 minutes I then put the skillet into the oven and baked for about 23 min.

Once out of the oven I took a spatula and went around the sides of the skillet before flipping the skillet onto a cutting board. I cut into pie slices topped with a corn chipotle salsa and dished it up along side a green salad with goat cheese and sunflower seeds. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment